Health Effects Of Mold

Mold spores can easily be breathed into the lungs. Exposure to mold can cause cold-like symptoms and can trigger asthma attacks. It is not safe to live in a home with high levels of mold in the air. Lengthy or repeated exposure to high levels of mold can also be harmful to health and may cause development of an allergy to mold. Allergic reaction to mold spores can occur even when the mold is dead. Mold must be removed to be safe.

Exposure to mold should be minimized for all people but especially children, the elderly, pregnant women and people with respiratory problems. If you can smell a musty odor or see mold you should have a professional assess the problem and propose removal and cleaning of surfaces and the air to prevent risk to your health.

Mold grows on organic matter. It will grow on paper, dirt, wood and soap scum. Mold likes wet materials and must have moisture to grow but high humidity alone is enough to support mold growth. Any flooded area that is not quickly and properly dried is likely to have mold growth. Interior and exterior walls need air circulation inside the wall to completely dry the structural materials. Any area that is stained from water should be examined for mold growth. Peeling or bubbles in paint may also be an indication of wet walls.

Since people react to mold whether it is living or dead, mold must be removed.

Mold should be removed by a trained and certified mold Remediator. Water damage and Mold remediation companies will have their technicians trained and certified by IAQA or other industry training leaders.

Trained technicians will protect themselves and other occupants during the removal and cleaning process. Containment will be constructed to segregate the air in the affected area from the air in the rest of the home.

The air conditioning vents will be covered to prevent cross contamination.  All affected materials will be carefully removed using a “dustless demolition” procedure. Moldy materials will be bagged and removed from the home. Surfaces should be HEPA vacuumed and wiped down to insure all mold spores are removed.

After removal and cleaning the air may be tested by a third party Certified Indoor Environmentalist to certify that the air is clean of mold spores.

Once the testing confirms a clean job reconstruction can begin. Drywall, insulation, and carpeting may need to be replaced to return the home to pre-loss condition. The contents and furnishings may also need to be cleaned to remove all mold spores and damages.

To prevent future mold growth the water source must be fixed. Since mold spores are in the air normally and mold spores grow on any wet organic material, the only way to prevent mold growth is to keep things dry. Keep your air conditioning equipment in good condition to control the humidity in the air.

If you suspect the is mold growing in your home call a local certified Water Damage and Mold Remediation contractor to inspect your home. 

Protect your family health and your home and contents. Keep mold out of your home.

DRIRITE: Tampa's Best Property Restoration Service

A turnkey solution to water damage, fire damage and mold issues. Call (813) 283-2202 Now!