Water and fire damage inside the home or business can happen at any time of the year. For the most part, these tragedies happen without warning and can cause a serious amount of damage — no matter how small or large the issue is.
Whether you’re dealing with water or fire damage, Tampa Bay residents need to be prepared at all times. It’s essential to keeping your home, family, business, and employees safe. Without preparation, most people are just sitting ducks waiting for tragedy to strike their property.
While the best restoration services in Tampa Bay can help restore your home or business to its original condition, there are a variety of things you can do to prevent these tragedies from ever occurring. Of course, that’s only if you know what to watch for and prepare for year-round.
With that said, most people are aware of the most common causes of water or fire damage. In fact, we spoke about some of those common causes in a previous blog post. Today, we’re going to take a look at some of the more uncommon and surprising causes of fire and water damage.
5 Uncommon Causes of Fire Damage
Most people know that ovens, stoves, outlets, candles, fireplaces, faulty wiring, and laziness are some of the more common causes of fire damage. While those account for a majority of fires in homes and businesses, they aren’t the only things to fear if you’re a property owner in Tampa.
Here are some of the more uncommon and unexpected causes of fire damage:
- Dust – no matter how clean your home or business is, dust is everywhere. Of course, dust is also extremely flammable and can burst in flames at any point.
- Toaster – most people have a toaster and most people use it every single day, if not multiple times per day. If it’s not cleaned frequently, the crumbs on the bottom can ignite a fire.
- Animals – as much as you love your pets, they don’t understand the dangers of fire hazards in the home or business, especially when they’re unsupervised.
- Computers – most computers, laptops, and gaming equipment is prone to overheating. Whether due to dust, a malfunctioning battery, or electrical shortage, they can also cause a fire.
- Glassware – although extremely rare, glassware and glass jars that are exposed to sunlight long enough can refract that beam of light onto something flammable. If there long enough, it can start a fire.
If you experience a fire — for whatever reason — call your local fire station immediately and request assistance. Get everyone out of the property and into a safe location. Once contained, contact a fire damage restoration company to restore the property as if it never happened.
5 Uncommon Causes of Water Damage
In regards to water damage, Tampa Bay residents are generally aware of the most common causes. These include severe weather, broken pipes, floods, water spills, sewage backups, and HVAC units. A majority of these occurrences require immediate assistance from a professional.
With that said, let’s take a look at some of the more uncommon and unexpected causes of water damage:
- Plants – plants need water, whether they’re inside or outside. While overwatering can damage the plant, it can also lead to frequent spills. If not cleaned up immediately, that spill can cause water damage.
- Gutters – a clogged gutter can wreak havoc on your home in a variety of ways. Water can pool up on the outside and inside of your home, eventually causing water damage and mold growth.
- Wind – although rare, wind can lead to opening doors without your permission. If this happens during a rainstorm, water can leak into the home. If it happens when cold outside, it can freeze your pipes if temperatures drop low enough.
- Fire – a fire already causes insurmountable damage to your property, but that damage is multiplied if using water to stop the fire. If not dealt with in a timely manner, this water can cause damage and mold growth.
- Animals – much like we discussed with fire damage, animals can cause a variety of spills around the home if not supervised. Make sure there’s nothing your pet can spill before leaving them unsupervised.
No matter what the cause of water damage is, you shouldn’t waste any time in finding the source. Once found, time is of the essence. Stop the flow of water, remove it from the property, and contact your local water damage restoration Tampa to begin the recovery process.
When you need water and fire restoration Tampa Bay residents know and trust, contact DriRite immediately. We take the restoration process seriously to ensure each homeowner and business owner can return to a safe property and normal daily routine.