The kitchen is one of the most dangerous rooms inside any home — even more-so than the bathroom. With the wide range of cooking equipment, sharp cutlery, plumbing, fire sources, and food packed into this one room, there’s no telling what could go wrong.
Of course, that’s why safety and preparation are always top priority when in the kitchen — even if you’re not cooking. It sets you and your family up for success, allows you to minimize the many risks and hazards involved, and encourages a healthy environment for all to enjoy.
At DriRite, we believe in helping and assisting the Tampa Bay community when things go wrong in the kitchen. Whether you’re dealing with water damage, mold growth, or mold remediation in Tampa, homeowners can trust DriRite with the best restoration company Tampa, FL has to offer!
What are the Most Common Kitchen Hazards?
Before we can learn how to prevent kitchen hazards, we must first understand what the most common hazards are — that way, we know what to prepare ourselves for. Of all the things that can go wrong, here are our top-five most common hazards that occur in the kitchen:
- Sharp Cutlery – every kitchen is home to a number of cutlery items and sharp objects that can easily lead to injury when not used properly.
- Slips & Falls – whether it’s due to a spill on the floor, newly-cleaned flooring, or carelessness, the kitchen is where a lot of people slip and fall inside their home.
- Water Damage – when in the kitchen, you must keep an eye on your plumbing, sinks, and refrigerator for signs of water damage.
- Fire Damage – the stove, microwave, toaster, oven, and anything else that uses heat or electricity could eventually lead to a fire inside the kitchen, especially when mixed with water.
- Mold Growth – when water damage isn’t taken care of in a timely manner, it can quickly lead to mold growth and eventually the spreading of mold spores throughout the home.
As you can see, homeowners are faced with a wide range of challenges when in the kitchen. The good news is these things are all preventable — though, you can never completely avoid them. That’s why every homeowner needs to understand proper prevention guidelines.
Preventing & Minimizing the Risk of Kitchen Hazards
Now that we have a better understanding of what can go wrong in the kitchen, we can start to take preventative measures to reduce the risk of these kitchen hazards and keep your family safe. Don’t worry, DriRite has you covered with some of our most helpful tips in the kitchen:
- Never leave the kitchen unattended when cooking on the stove, in the oven/toaster, or in the microwave.
- Make sure there’s nothing flammable or combustible near your cooking equipment when in-use — including oven mitts, paper towels, rags, packaging, or curtains.
- Clean your kitchen frequently to avoid buildup of grease, dirt, dust, and more — especially near the oven, stovetop, and microwave.
- Keep your pets away from the burners whenever in-use.
- Never wear loose clothing when cooking, especially with fire. It won’t take much for that dangling sleeve to catch on fire.
- Use oven mitts when transferring hot pots, pans, or dishes from one counter to the next.
- Don’t let liquid and hot oil mix, otherwise the oil will splatter and can cause severe burns.
- Grease fires can start quickly if you don’t know how to cook with certain oils.
- If you spill something when in the kitchen, clean it up immediately.
- If something breaks or isn’t working properly, get it fixed immediately.
- Keep your kitchen neat, organized, and free of clutter at all times!
Dedication and commitment is key to keeping your family safe in the kitchen. It’s extremely important everyone in your family follows these guidelines on a daily basis. Keep in mind, there’s no room for carelessness, laziness, or second-guessing yourself inside the kitchen.
The more dedicated your family is to protecting each other, the less you risk having something go wrong when cooking or grabbing a bite to eat.
Are You Noticing Water or Fire Damage?
When you need fire or water damage restoration in Tampa, homeowners can trust DriRite with all of their restoration needs. We believe in an easy, fast, and affordable process for you and your family. That way, you can return to your normal, everyday life as soon as possible.
We take great pride in offering the best water damage, fire damage, and mold remediation companies in Tampa. Contact us today if you have concerns about water damage, fire damage, or mold growth inside your home — whether it’s in the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, living room, office, or bedroom.