One of the worst things a homeowner can come home to is flood damage. Sometimes it’s due to a natural disaster — such as a hurricane, tornado, or rain storm — and sometimes it’s due to faulty plumbing inside the home — which can cause a flood if not fixed in a timely manner.
Either way, it’s a tragedy for you, your family, your home, and anyone else involved. It often comes without warning and there’s no telling the amount of damage it can create — including water damage, fire damage, and the possibility of mold growth throughout the home.
No matter how bad the water or fire damage in Tampa is, homeowners are generally more concerned about how permanent the damage is. If there’s a way to bring the home back to life, the homeowner and their family are given a sense of relief that things will eventually get better — as they always do.
Can you Restore a Flooded Home in the Tampa Area?
In most cases, a flooded home can be restored to its original condition. Of course, a lot of that depends on the size of and severity of damage, but you’ll be surprised by what your local restoration company can accomplish — especially those with enough experience in the industry.
In the event your home can be restored, it’ll often be a long and trying process for you and your family. It’ll take time to ensure your family can return to a safe and healthy home, but it’ll be well-worth the wait when it’s all said and done. You just have to trust the process.
To ensure you’re prepared for the long journey ahead of you, here’s a brief look at what the restoration process for a flooded home generally entails:
- The first step is to find the source of the flood, if it’s not from a natural disaster.
- Once that’s solved, it’s time to safely remove the water from the home.
- Depending on the damage, you might need to remove the flooring, drywall, furniture, etc.
- Once the damaged area is stripped, you can begin the drying process.
- You’ll also want to keep an eye out for mold growth, that way you can put an end to it early.
- Once the area is dry, it’s time to start rebuilding that area of the home. Eventually, you’ll have a new-and-improved home.
One of the most important steps in the process is preventing the flood from happening again. With all the work being done on the home, this is the perfect time to make those adjustments and continue moving forward with the proper preventative measures.
With the right flood damage cleanup in Tampa, homeowners can once again feel confident with their living situation.
Dangers of Re-Entering a Flooded Home
Before the process begins, it’s extremely important every homeowner understands the many dangers involved with re-entering a flooded home. It’s one of the main reasons why many families are forced to find a temporary place to stay throughout the restoration process.
Let’s take a look at some of the things you should pay attention to and consider before re-entering your home:
- Turn your power, gas, and water off (if safe to do so). Be aware of any damaged lines, wires, or pipes.
- Don’t stand in flood water that has risen above the electrical outlets or is exposed to any electrical devices.
- If your home is crooked, the foundation could be shifted. Don’t enter the home if you notice this.
- Before stepping into the home, be on the lookout for sagging in the walls or ceilings. Eventually, it could collapse.
- If you hear or smell a gas leak, contact your fire company — even if there’s no fire.
- Flood water isn’t clean water, so don’t come in contact with any of it.
- Don’t attempt to eat anything in your kitchen that might’ve come in contact with the flood — especially if it’s unsealed.
- Beware of animals, such as snakes, roaming around in the water.
- Always assume the presence of mold, especially if it’s been a few days since you’ve entered the home.
- Never enter the home if you’re unsure about the condition of the home or if not first instructed by a professional.
The most important thing is to stay safe and allow the professionals to evaluate the situation before moving any further. You’ll want to reach out to your insurance company, as well as find quality fire and water damage restoration Tampa homeowners can trust during this difficult time.
If you need the best fire damage, water damage, and mold removal in Tampa, FL, contact DriRite today. We have a team of experts ready to bring some peace, prosperity, and sustainability to your living situation.