A flooded house can put a damper on anyone’s day. The level of frustration, stress, and worry that overcomes you is something no one wants to deal with — especially as you assess the amount of damage it caused to the structure of your home and your valuable belongings.
Unfortunately, indoor flooding is something many homeowners are faced with every year and is quite common in the state of Florida — especially the Tampa Bay area. Homeowners must be prepared for these unfortunate events and understand the many dangers they present.
With the amount of flood damage in Tampa Bay each year, a phone call to a local restoration company is the last thing anyone wants. Don’t worry, we’re going to detail everything you need to know about indoor flooding — including the common causes, prevention tips, and what to do.
What are the Common Causes of Indoor Flooding?
There are a wide range of causes of indoor flooding in the Tampa Bay area. For example, Tampa is known for having a lack of topographic relief, which can wreak havoc on the land when heavy rain, thunderstorms, and tropical storms arrive — making it difficult for water to drain quickly.
Not only can the weather cause severe flooding when it finds its way into the home, but there are several things that can happen inside the home that cause indoor flooding. Broken pipes, poor drainage, clogged gutters, faulty appliances, and a damaged foundation are some of them.
Indoor flooding can turn bad to worse in a hurry. The sooner you initiate flood damage cleanup in Tampa with the help of a qualified and experienced professional, the sooner you can return your home to normalcy. After all, isn’t that what every homeowner would want in that situation?
How to Prevent Indoor Flooding
Due to the stress indoor flooding can cause you and your family, it’s important you do whatever possible to prevent it from ever happening inside your home. Although there’s no way to 100% guarantee it won’t occur, there are ways to reduce the chances of ever having to deal with it.
Let’s take a look at some of our most prominent prevention tips for indoor flooding:
- Understand your flood zone and evaluate your potential risk of flooding due to weather.
- Apply dry flood-proofing coatings and sealants to doorways, windows, walls, and foundation.
- Install check valves on the pipes throughout the home to prevent flooded sewage systems.
- Regrade your lawn so it tilts away from your house, that way water doesn’t pool around the house.
- If you have mulch surrounding your home, leave space between the mulch and siding.
- Keep your gutters clean and point the downspouts away from the home.
- Make sure all the pipes and appliances throughout the home are working properly.
Making the necessary renovations to your home and taking the right preventative steps can help you avoid a major headache when heavy rain comes. It can also reduce the chances of appliances faltering and pipes breaking at the worst times, which can result in indoor flooding.
What to Do When Experiencing Indoor Flooding
No matter how much you try, there will always be a chance that flooding could take over your home. Keep in mind, even an inch of flooding throughout the home can lead to excessive water damage, especially if the damage isn’t repaired by a true professional in a timely manner.
In the event of indoor flooding, here are some of the steps you should take to reduce the damage:
- Find the source of flooding and stop water from entering the home.
- Turn off the electricity, so long as you can do so without stepping in water.
- If possible, begin the water removal process as soon as you can.
- If you can remove the standing water, begin drying what’s left behind.
- Contact a company that specializes in flood damage repair in Tampa.
- Start taking pictures of everything for insurance reasons.
- Salvage any items that aren’t completely damaged and begin drying them.
If you’re unsure of what to do or don’t feel comfortable initiating the flood damage cleanup process, don’t panic. The best thing to do is leave it to the professionals, that way you can ensure the process is completed properly. You won’t want to over-stress yourself out.
When you need a professional Tampa water removal company to stand by your side through these difficult times, look no further than DriRite. We take pride in serving the Tampa Bay area and can’t wait to return your home to its original condition. Contact us today for assistance!