There’s nothing more exciting than going on a relaxing vacation and getting away from home for a little while. It’s something most families do on a yearly basis and is their one opportunity to let go of the everyday stressors they experience at home daily.
Of course, the only way to truly enjoy your vacation is to know your home is in tip-top shape while you’re gone. There’s nothing worse than returning home to a flooded house or getting a call that your house is on fire while still on vacation. It can ruin your day in a heartbeat but the good news is it’s preventable.
Even when tragedy strikes, being properly prepared and having the right protocols in place allows you to continue on with your day — whether you’re just getting home and need professional flood damage cleanup or are still on vacation and need the best fire restoration Tampa has to offer.
At DriRite, we want to ensure every homeowner has access to the right tips, strategies, and habits when keeping their home safe while traveling. That’s why we’re going to take a closer look at some of our tips for preventing water damage and fire damage when on vacation.
Preventing Water Damage When Traveling
Homeowners in the Tampa Bay area are exposed to a lot of rain throughout the year, which means water damage is often a heavy concern for anyone trying to avoid mold in their home.
While most people keep a constant eye on their home when present, what should they do when not at home? Well, there are several things you can do and they must be taken seriously before leaving for vacation.
- Before you leave, do a thorough inspection of your home to ensure there are no visible leaks, running water, puddles, or damage anywhere. This includes the water supply lines to faucets, toilets, and appliances.
- Check your roof and gutters for damage. You should also inspect that your doors and windows are closed and sealed properly.
- Shutting off the main water is a good step to take if no one will be inside the home while you’re gone.
- Keeping the HVAC on reduces the risk of condensation forming inside the home.
- With technology today, many people are having water sensors installed in areas that shouldn’t be exposed to water. They send alerts directly to your phone.
Being proactive is often the best thing you can do for your home, especially when you plan on leaving it for a week, a month, or even longer. Of course, that doesn’t mean you need to leave it completely unattended.
Instead, consider having a family member or friend stop by every now and then to keep an eye on things. They can alert you of anything suspicious and can even call a restoration company that handles flood damage Tampa residents face year-round.
Preventing Fire Damage When Traveling
Believe it or not, water damage isn’t the only threat your home experiences while you’re on vacation. Fire damage can ruin your vacation just as quickly and could turn your return home into a tragedy. In fact, water damage can sometimes lead to fire damage.
Let’s take a look at some of our most prominent fire damage tips when traveling, whether it’s summer, spring, winter, or fall:
- Unplug any appliances that aren’t being used while you’re gone. The less things you have plugged in, the better.
- Do a thorough inspection of your home in search of faulty wiring and electrical issues that might need to be repaired before you leave.
- Make sure your fire alarms are installed and working properly. They can help you alert the authorities, even when you’re not aware.
- Sprinkler systems are a great way to ensure your home has a self-defense against a fire breaking out when you’re not at home.
When a fire starts, the best defense is a timely call to the fire department. Much like you need someone on lookout for water damage, you need someone on lookout for fire damage. Neighbors are quality candidates, if you trust them.
It doesn’t matter if you’re dealing with water or mold remediation in Tampa residents need the best care possible when restoring their home back to its original state. When you put your trust in the right team of professionals, you’ll effectively forget the damage ever happened in the first place.
If you need quality and timely water damage or fire damage restoration, give DriRite a call today. We can’t wait to help you feel better about your situation.