There’s nothing more frightening than having to prepare for, endure, and clean up after a natural disaster — especially that of a hurricane. Even if your hometown isn’t directly hit by a hurricane, simply being in a city near one can be terrifying and challenging for any homeowner.
In Tampa Bay, hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30th. Since hurricanes often cause fire and water damage repair in Tampa, homeowners need to prepare for these situations ahead of time. Without it, the situation could become much worse than expected.
As dangerous as hurricanes are, there’s so much you can do to protect your family and reduce the amount of damage to your home. Even after the hurricane, knowing how to manage the situation and find the right help can put yourself in the right position moving forward.
What Should you Do in Preparation for a Hurricane in the Tampa Area?
A hurricane can lead to an extreme amount of damage to your home, as well as damage to your family’s mental and emotional health as you witness one of nature’s worst storms. That’s what makes preparation so important when dealing with a hurricane warning in your area.
Here are some of our best tips when preparing for a hurricane in Tampa:
- Always have a kit ready to go in the event you have time to evacuate. Include the essentials you and your family will need.
- Make sure your home is stocked with emergency supplies in the event there’s no time to evacuate.
- If you don’t already have a plan in place with your family members when a warning is issued, come up with one immediately and stick to it.
- Always pay attention to advice from local authorities as a hurricane nears your city.
- Have hurricane shutters installed, that way you don’t need to board up windows and doors.
- Unplug appliances you won’t be needing, cover your outlets, and turn your main power off if you’re evacuating.
The most important thing when preparing for a hurricane is to make sure you and your family are on the same page with your plan. While there’s a good chance you’ll experience water or fire damage, Tampa homeowners can reduce that damage with a good plan and execution.
Staying Safe After a Hurricane
Once the hurricane passes, there are several things you and your family members will want to keep in mind before re-entering the home or beginning the clean-up process.
Let’s go over some of the most prominent tips when staying safe after a hurricane passes:
- Don’t drive or stand in flooded water, as it’s heavily contaminated with bacteria and wild animals.
- Don’t touch any electrical devices, especially if still plugged in.
- Don’t use candles or fire inside the home if the power is out. Instead, use a flashlight.
- Make sure food and beverages are safe to eat and drink before consuming.
- Before entering a home, protect yourself with waterproof clothing, mask, gloves, boots, goggles, and a hard hat.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy, in the event of a fire.
- Take pictures of everything for insurance purposes.
- Be prepared for anything because you never know what could happen.
Once you’ve had an opportunity to assess the damage, you can start contacting your insurance company and making sure you document everything. You’ll also want the help of the most passionate fire and water damage restoration service in Tampa, FL.
Cleaning Up After a Hurricane in Tampa
While a majority of the disaster clean-up and restoration should be handled by the professional, there are a variety of things you can do before that help arrives to ensure damage doesn’t get any worse. Let’s go over some of the most prominent things you and your family can do:
- If there’s water or flood damage, salvage what you can and begin the drying process.
- Open all windows and doors, if safe to do so.
- You can also start throwing out any items that can’t be saved.
- Don’t lift anything heavy by yourself — teamwork is important.
- Listen to the advice of professionals and don’t do anything if you’re doubting yourself.
- If you can safely remove excess or standing water, start doing so immediately.
- Be aware of mold growth because it can easily and quickly spread throughout the home.
When you need the best water and fire restoration Tampa has to offer, contact DriRite immediately. We’ve been in business for over 30 years and can’t wait to extend our services to you and your family during this difficult time!