There’s nothing worse than having to experience water damage in Tampa, whether you own a business, home, or both. There are so many different causes and there’s really no way of telling just how bad the damage can get. In fact, it can turn from bad to worse if not handled properly.
Some of the most common causes of Tampa, FL water damage inside the home and business include severe weather, clogged gutters, blocked drains, faulty appliances, leaking or burst pipes, malfunctioning sprinklers, plumbing issues, natural disasters, and so much more.
While water damage mostly occurs in the kitchen or bathroom (due to the wide range of plumbing), it can happen in any room of the house. The windows and doorways are also culprits of water damage, especially when bad weather conditions arise — which is common in Tampa.
What to Do When Experiencing Water Damage in Tampa
Despite how stressful and frustrating water damage in the home or business can be, there are a variety of things you can do to reduce how permanent that damage is. When dealt with properly, you can eventually return your home to its original condition and effectively restore the damage.
Let’s take a look at some of our most prominent tips on what to do when experiencing water damage:
- Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay, so don’t over-stress yourself out.
- Find the source of the water damage, that way you can stop it at its source.
- Once you find the source, prevent the existing water from spreading throughout the home.
- Start taking pictures of any damage, that way your insurance company can review them.
- Be on the lookout for mold, though it normally takes 24-48 hours for mold to form.
- Depending on the size of the affected area, start removing standing water from the affected area.
- Start to assess the damage and salvage any belongings that have been affected.
- Open the windows and turn on any fans to begin the drying process.
- Throw away items that can’t be salvaged, but only if you’re 100% certain they can’t be restored.
- Place foil under the legs of furniture, especially antiques.
- Start hanging rugs, blankets, drapes, and furniture skirts outside to dry.
- Make sure you’re wearing gloves before touching anything damaged by water, especially if it’s sewage water.
The things listed above are some of the most important things you should do once water damage finds its way inside your home. Of course, you should also contact a professional that specializes in water damage repair in Tampa — they know how to save and restore the home.
What Not to Do When Experiencing Water Damage in Tampa
While there are plenty of things you can do to minimize and reduce how bad or permanent water damage is inside the home, there are also things you shouldn’t do. Some of these things will make the problem worse, while other things will put you and your family at risk of further danger.
Here are some of the things you shouldn’t do when experiencing water damage inside the home:
- Don’t use a vacuum to remove standing water.
- Don’t use newspaper to soak up water because ink will likely bleed.
- If there’s electrical or structural damage in the affected area, don’t enter.
- Stay away from contaminated sewage water.
- Don’t turn off the electricity or use electrical appliances while standing in water.
- Don’t turn on an HVAC unit if water has entered the ducts.
- Don’t enter a room that has a wet or sagging ceiling or floor.
- Don’t let your children enter the affected area.
- Don’t hesitate or wait to contact a professional water damage restoration company.
If you can follow the tips we listed above, you’ll put your home, your family, and yourself in the best position possible post-water damage. After all, that has to be every homeowner or business owner’s goal. The less severe the damage is, the less frustration you’ll be dealing with.
Contact DriRite for Immediate Assistance!
Have you experienced water damage in your home? Are you searching for a quality and professional Tampa water removal service? Do you need a trained and experienced specialist to restore your home back to its original condition? Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place!
At DriRite, we have all the equipment, knowledge, and passion needed when restoring water damage in the home or business. When you’re ready to begin the water damage restoration process, contact us and we’ll send one of our experts to your location as soon as possible.