When most people think about water damage inside the home, they expect it to come from the shower, sink, or toilet. It makes sense because it’s where a majority of the plumbing is, but it’s not the only source of water damage homeowners need to familiarize themselves with.
Believe it or not, home appliances are one of the most common sources of water damage. They utilize a lot of water, which means any issue with the water supply that isn’t fixed in a timely manner could cause serious water damage — both to the appliance and the surrounding structure of the home.
So, which home appliances produce the most water damage?
In order to prevent your home appliances from producing water damage or mold, you have to know where to look. Don’t worry, a water damage restoration in Tampa company can help you restore anything if damaged, but prevention starts with the habits you build at home on a daily basis.
- Dishwasher – many people utilize their dishwasher on a daily basis, with the average family using about 2 gallons of water per day on this appliance alone. A pool of water could ruin your floor, especially after repeated use.
- Washing Machine – the washing machine is one of the most surprising home appliances that utilize water, coming in at a whopping 22 gallons per household each day. A leak or overflowing washer can also ruin your floor and invite mold (especially with the dryer next to it).
- Refrigerator – refrigerators don’t need to run on water, but many households today prefer their refrigerator to feature a water dispenser and ice maker. It’s convenient, but it also increases your risk of a leak or a spill.
- Water Heater – many homeowners don’t think about their water heater often enough. It’s that large tub full of hot water that’s hidden away somewhere in your house. Much like the other appliances, this one is prone to leaks and maintenance issues.
- Air Conditioning – can you imagine your home without air conditioning? Especially in areas like Tampa Bay, air conditioning is a necessity. Unfortunately, they can produce a leak or large amounts of condensation when overworked (as well as during storms).
- Humidifiers – when used properly, a humidifier can work wonders for the environment inside your home. Unfortunately, they can cause serious issues when mishandled or not cleaned frequently.
The home appliances listed above don’t utilize the same amount of water as the shower, toilet, or sink, but they utilize enough water that you must keep an eye on them frequently. Failure to fix any issues with these appliances could lead to mold — especially in humid areas like Tampa.
Tips for Preventing Water Damage With Home Appliances
Now that you have a better idea of what to look out for when maintaining your home appliances, you’re likely wondering what you can do to prevent any issues from happening in the future. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
Here are some of our most prominent tips on preventing water damage caused by a leaking or broken appliance:
- Make it a point to check for leaks frequently. A good rule of thumb is to check them before and after using them, but it doesn’t hurt to take a peak whenever you walk by it.
- Since the supply hose requires a tight connection when avoiding leaks, you should check these frequently for good measure.
- Don’t operate your dishwasher or washing machine when someone isn’t home. If something happens, it needs immediate assistance.
- Consider getting a new appliance when your current one is nearing the end of its life. Home appliances don’t last forever.
- Make sure your water tube connection on the back of the refrigerator isn’t crushed, cracked, or being pulled.
- Clean your home appliances frequently to ensure they work properly at all times. Any issue with the appliance could lead to a leak or pool of water.
By following these tips, you can properly prevent any water damage from happening inside your home. It’s essential to maintaining a safe home, especially considering the dangers of standing water and water damage. Luckily homeowners have the best water damage restoration Tampa has ever seen with DriRite.
If the issue results in mold, there’s no telling what might happen. Mold continues to grow and your family is put at risk of health concerns related to mold exposure. That’s why it’s important you take care of any water damage immediately after it happens.
When mold is present, a company that offers mold removal Tampa residents know and trust can help you remove it. If your home or personal belongings were damaged as a result, the best restoration company Tampa Florida has to offer can help restore it to its original state.
Contact Dririte Today!
Contact DriRite today if you’re experiencing water damage as a result of a broken home appliance. We can’t wait to help you through this difficult time.