Have you ever walked into your bathroom and been greeted by water damage on your floor, wall, or ceiling? It’s not the most pleasant thing to experience and certainly isn’t something we hope to encounter. In fact, it can truly put a damper on your day — no matter how good it’s going.
Unfortunately, the toilet and shower (or bathtub) are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to water damage. It’s something millions of people are faced with each year and is something that can happen at any moment. Even worse, there’s no way of telling how bad the damage can get.
If you live in Tampa, FL, water damage is the last thing you want to see when you step foot in your bathroom. While there’s no way to 100% avoid it, there are ways you can lower the chance of it happening — so we’re going to share some prevention tips for both the toilet and shower.
Preventing Water Damage for Your Toilet
Chances are you use your toilet often, but you hopefully don’t experience a leaky toilet often. A leaking toilet can create an unwanted pool of water to form on the floor or in the walls, which can lead to a great deal of water damage — especially if not repaired in a timely manner.
Some of the most common causes of this include cracks, rusted pipes, loose seals, a faulty flapper, clogged drains, a faulty flush valve assembly, a damaged tank, or human error.
If you want to prevent water damage due to your toilet, here are some of our most prominent tips:
- Check for leaks around the base of your toilet and around the tank.
- If you notice a leak, get it repaired immediately.
- Beware of what you flush down the toilet — avoid wipes and feminine products.
- Upgrade your toilet when it starts to get old.
- Test your valves frequently.
- Make sure the caulk around the toilet isn’t damaged.
- If your toilet is making weird sounds, get it checked out by a professional.
In the event you experience a leaky toilet, you should contact your local plumber immediately. If the leaky toilet causes water damage, you’re going to need quality water damage restoration in Tampa, as well — especially since the bathroom gets humid and could welcome mold growth.
Preventing Water Damage for Your Shower
Much like the toilet, chances are you use your shower and bathtub at least once throughout the day. Since the shower is home to a large amount of water when in use, it’s not a surprise that it’s also one of the biggest culprits of water damage — especially when you’re not being careful.
Some of the most common causes of this include loose seals, leaking pipes, water splashing, faulty showerhead, humidity, cracked tiles or grout lines, not using a rug or mat outside the shower, and a clogged drain.
Here are some prevention tips to hopefully avoid water damage:
- Prevent water splashes when taking a shower or bath.
- Don’t overfill your bathtub with water.
- Replace missing tile, grout, or caulk immediately.
- Repair damaged pipes immediately.
- If you notice a puddle of water, dry it immediately.
- Use a floor mat outside the shower to avoid puddles.
- Don’t avoid fixing a clogged drain, or one that drains slowly.
- If you notice a leak, get it fixed immediately.
- Install an exhaust fan and make sure the room is properly ventilated while taking a shower.
If you experience any issues with your shower, make sure you’re getting it repaired immediately. In the event of water damage, don’t wait to contact one of your local restoration companies in Tampa. The longer you wait, the worse the problem will get — which is what we want to avoid.
Noticing Water Damage? Contact Us Today!
As important as water is to the function of your bathroom, it can wreak just as much havoc when it enters the wrong places — especially if it overstays its welcome. That’s where we come in. At DriRite, we specialize in water damage restoration and mold removal in Tampa, FL.
When you need a quality team of restoration experts to restore your home or business to its original condition, you can trust us with your project. We have over 30 years of experience and use the best equipment available to ensure we get the job done right the first time around.
Contact us today for immediate assistance. We can’t wait to restore your bathroom and put a much-needed smile on your face!