Homeowners in the Tampa Bay area need to be prepared for everything and anything when protecting their home from water and mold damage. There are so many culprits to be aware of, including the weather, clogged gutters, blocked drains, leaking pipes, and faulty appliances.
Of all those listed above, one of the most frustrating and stressful events a homeowner or business owner can experience is a burst pipe. Things can go from bad to worse in a hurry, especially if you don’t know what to do or who to call when it happens in your home or business.
The good news is we’re here to help. At DriRite, we want to make sure every property owner is prepared for these events. That’s why we’re going to detail everything you need to know about a burst pipe, including why they happen, signs of a burst pipe, and what to do if it happens to you.
Why Do Pipes Burst?
The truth is there are a lot of reasons why a pipe might burst in the home or business. It’s not the most common occurrence, but the water damage can be insurmountable if not handled in a timely and proper manner. The last thing you want is a bigger problem than you bargained for.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common causes of a burst pipe:
- Frozen Pipe – in temperatures under 32 degrees fahrenheit, any water in your pipes could freeze over and cause bonds in the pipe to weaken. Eventually, that pipe will burst.
- Pipe Corrosion – long-term corrosion in a pipe, either caused by rust or an imbalance in the water’s pH level, will lead to a weakened pipe that can eventually leak or burst.
- Pipe Movement – if the water pressure is too high inside the pipe or if the pipe is shifted due to other repairs, the movement can eventually lead to a burst pipe.
- Clogged Pipe – when a pipe is clogged, the water pressure inside the pipe will increase and result in a higher risk of it bursting or leaking.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common signs that a pipe is about to (or already has) burst in your home or business:
- Random puddles of water
- A decrease in water pressure
- Water stains on the walls or ceiling
- Discoloration of your water
- Higher-than-normal water bill
- Water that has a weird smell to it
- Hearing a constant drip in your wall or ceiling
- The sound of pipes moving or shaking
As you can see, a majority of pipes burst when the water pressure increases to a point of no return. It’s usually not something that will happen right away or overnight, but rather something that will continue to get worse over time — until the pipe eventually gives out and bursts.
What to Do When a Pipe Bursts
A burst pipe is a nightmare for any homeowner or business owner. It can go from bad to worse in a hurry, but that threat can quickly be detained when the right actions are taken when it finally happens. Don’t worry, we’re going to teach you what to do when a pipe bursts on your property.
Let’s take a look at some of the things you can do to minimize the Tampa, FL water damage in this situation:
- The moment you notice the burst pipe, turn off the main water supply to eliminate any new water running through the pipe.
- Contact a local plumber to investigate, detect, and fix the burst pipe.
- Start to dry or remove any water that has leaked out of the pipe to avoid water damage.
- Drain the water out of your sink, toilet, shower, etc. to relieve some of the pressure.
- If the pipe is frozen, warm the area — but do so slowly to avoid any rapid increases in temperature.
- Wait for your plumber to fix the issue before turning the water supply back on.
The most important thing you can do is to breathe and remain calm. A burst pipe isn’t the end of the world, especially when the right steps are taken once the issue is noticed. The last thing you want after a burst pipe is excessive water damage that compromises the structure of the home.
Are You Experiencing Water Damage in Tampa?
If your burst pipe has caused a great deal of water damage and you need a quality team of restoration experts to return your home to its original condition, you’ve come to the right place. At DriRite, we’re one of the most trusted professional restoration services of Tampa Bay.
We have the equipment, knowledge, experience, and skill needed when restoring your home or business after a burst pipe. Whether you need water damage restoration or flood damage cleanup in Tampa, we’ll be on the scene in a hurry. Contact us today to get the process started!