Thanksgiving is a holiday that’s supposed to be filled with joy and gratitude. It’s a time when friends and family unite as one to give thanks for the love and support they show each other year-round. It’s a special bonding moment that shouldn’t be interrupted or disturbed in any way.
Unfortunately, hundreds of families across the United States experience a fire on Thanksgiving Day every single year. Some fires are a result of cooking that infamous Thanksgiving dinner, while others are a result of fireplace misuse or burning a candle too close to a flammable object.
Either way, nothing interrupts your special Thanksgiving moment more than a fire. It’ll not only cause fire damage inside your home, but will bring your Thanksgiving day to a halt and cause a great deal of stress and frustration. That’s why fire safety is so important on this special day.
Residential Fire Statistics on Thanksgiving Day
Many people don’t understand just how common and dangerous a fire can be on Thanksgiving Day. Luckily, there’s no better way to explain it than with recent statistics released by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) — which are readily available and very accurate.
- Over 2,000 fires are reported every year on Thanksgiving Day in the United States alone.
- Thanksgiving Day fires result in an average of 5 deaths, 25 injuries, and $26 million in property loss.
- 74% of Thanksgiving Day fires are caused by cooking, while 8% are caused by heating appliances.
- A majority of all Thanksgiving Day fires occur between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM.
As you can see, Thanksgiving Day is a busy day for local fire departments. In fact, it’s the peak day for home cooking fires in the United States and it’s a problem felt in every community every single year. With the right protocols and awareness, we can effectively reduce those numbers.
How to Prevent a Fire on Thanksgiving Day
The good news is there are plenty of things you can do this Thanksgiving holiday to reduce your chances of experiencing a fire inside your home. When the right steps are taken beforehand, you can put yourself and your family in a better position to succeed this holiday season.
- Don’t leave the kitchen unattended when cooking on the stovetop
- Don’t leave the house when cooking the turkey
- Keep children away from the stove and oven
- Clean and maintain your cooking appliances before using them
- Keep flammable items away from the stovetop, fireplace, and candles
- Test your smoke alarms before you begin cooking
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Pay attention while cooking and follow best safety protocols
While these fire prevention tips go a long way in protecting your family and guests on Thanksgiving Day, it doesn’t mean you’re 100% out of harm’s way. You should always be prepared for the worst case scenario, especially while hoping for the best case scenario.
What to Do When a Fire Starts
Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how much you try to avoid or prevent something — it just seems to happen anyway. As unfortunate as it is, that saying rings true with fires inside the home. You can do everything right and still have the situation go from good to bad to worse in a hurry.
Here’s a step-by-step look at what you should do when a fire starts in your home on Thanksgiving Day:
- If it’s the oven, turn the appliance off and close the oven door.
- If it’s the stovetop, suffocate the fire with a lid and turn the flame off.
- Use the proper fire extinguisher to prevent the fire from spreading.
- If the fire gets out of hand, evacuate the building and contact your fire department.
- Document any fire damage in Tampa and contact your insurance company.
- Contact a restoration company to begin the restoration process ASAP.
Time is of the essence once a fire ignites, especially considering how quickly it can spread throughout the home. If you can safely extinguish it yourself, then do so immediately. If not, let a professional handle it and find quality fire and water damage restoration in Tampa to help restore your home immediately.
You Can Trust DriRite With Your Restoration Needs
No one wants to experience a fire inside their home, especially on Thanksgiving Day. Unfortunately, it’s a harsh reality for so many people and with the holiday season quickly approaching, it’s always good to spread awareness early and often so we can prepare.
If you experience a fire this holiday season and need quality, experienced, and certified fire restoration in Tampa to restore your home back to its original condition, you can trust DriRIte with 24/7 emergency services throughout the Tampa Bay area. Contact us today to learn more!
As one of the best water damage, fire damage, and mold remediation companies in Tampa, we can’t wait to help you recover and restore!
Comments are closed.