Tampa Bay is home to some of the most beautiful weather for a majority of the year — it’s what makes this city one of the most visited cities in the country. Unfortunately, it’s also home to some of the most unexpected, dangerous, and damaging storms throughout the year.
Tornadoes, hurricanes, heavy rain, lightning strikes, and floods are a normal occurrence in Tampa. Ensuring your home and business is prepared for these storms can help reduce the amount of damage you suffer — which saves you a ton of money in repairs and restoration.
Don’t worry, we’re here to share with you some of our most prominent tips when preparing your home for a storm. We’ll break it down into three different categories — preparing the inside of your home, preparing the outside of your home, and preparing your family for what’s to come.
Preparing the Inside of Your Home
We know what you’re thinking — the storm happens outside, so why do I need to prepare the inside of my home? The truth is there are a ton of things that can go wrong inside the home if not properly prepared for. You could lose power or face water damage due to structural damage.
Let’s take a look at our tips when preparing the inside of your home for any storm:
- Have a standby generator in case the power goes out.
- Keep your windows and doors closed.
- If you have hurricane shutters, keep those closed as well.
- If you don’t have hurricane shutters, board up your windows with plywood.
- Raise valuable belongings off of the ground in case of a flood.
It’s important to note that preparation greatly reduces your chances of water, fire, or mold damage, but it doesn’t guarantee anything. In the event you experience damage inside the home, contact us today. We can help you restore your home back to its original condition.
Preparing the Outside of Your Home
While there are a ton of things you should prepare for inside the home, that doesn’t mean you should neglect what’s going on outside. There are a ton of things that can go wrong outside your home and the truth is it can impact what goes on inside the home — so prepare for everything!
Here are our most prominent tips when preparing the outside of your home for a storm:
- Clean your gutters before the storm hits.
- Trim tree branches that might fall on your roof.
- Repair any roof damage before the storm comes.
- Secure any fences to avoid them being lifted.
- If you have outdoor furniture, secure it or bring it inside.
- Strengthen your garage doors with heavy-duty hardware.
Any structural damage to the outside of your home can welcome a flood or leak into the home. To ensure water damage in Tampa, Florida doesn’t lead to mold growth, especially considering how humid it is, you should seek quality water damage restoration in Tampa immediately.
Preparing Your Family for a Storm
Now that the inside and outside of your home is ready for the incoming storm, it’s time to prepare your family. Ensuring everyone inside the home is on the same page is crucial, especially if something were to go wrong. In moments of despair, time is of the essence.
Here are some of our tips when preparing your family for an incoming storm:
- Make sure your family charges all their electronics in case power goes out.
- Have an emergency kit stocked and ready with essentials.
- Ensure your family understands the emergency plan.
- Pay attention to advice and guidance from your local officials.
- Keep everyone calm during the storm and remain in a safe place.
Not only can following these tips help reduce any injuries during a severe storm, but it can give everyone some peace of mind when things go wrong. Having a plan of action helps keep everyone together and limits the amount of confusion when it comes time to act quickly.
If You Experience Damage, Contact Us!
At DriRite, we take pride in being the most trusted and reliable restoration companies in Tampa — especially when storms welcome a great deal of damage inside the home. Whether you experience a fire or need quality flood damage cleanup in Tampa, contact us immediately.
Our team of certified experts are trained, experienced, well-equipped, passionate, and very responsive to your restoration needs. We can’t wait to restore your home back to its original condition. Schedule your free consultation with us today and we’ll send someone over!
Comments are closed.