There are more than 1.2 million fires reported by the United States Fire Administration every single year. Of those fires, thousands of deaths and over 15,000 injuries are reported, resulting in nearly $15 million in property damage. It’s no secret that the United States has a fire problem.
That’s why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) designates October as National Fire Safety Month, to help spread awareness and hopefully reduce the amount of injuries and deaths that occur every year. This year, Fire Prevention Week takes place from October 3-9.
Each year, the NFPA creates a theme to go along with National Fire Safety Month and the theme for 2021 is ‘Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety. Their goal this year is to spread awareness about the importance of having working smoking alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms.
Smoke Alarm Fire Safety Tips
Smoke alarms play a major role in minimizing the amount of damage, injury, and death that occurs when a fire breaks out in your home or business. They not only warn those inside the building of a possible fire, but they allow you to act fast when it matters the most.
Here are some fire safety and maintenance tips you should know about your smoke alarm:
- If you hear a series of three loud beeps, evacuate the building and call 9-1-1 immediately.
- If you hear a single beep every 30-60 seconds, it’s time to replace the battery.
- If you replace the battery and you still hear a beep, it’s time to replace the unit.
- You should make sure your smoke alarm is replaced every 10 years to ensure it’s updated.
- Don’t forget to test your smoke alarms often to ensure they’re working properly.
- You should have a smoke alarm inside each bedroom, outside of sleeping areas, and within 10 feet of your cooking appliances.
Smoke alarms save lives and reduce the amount of fire damage in Tampa. They’re necessary and required in every home and business. If you haven’t tested yours in a while, it’s best to do so now before it’s too late. If it hasn’t been replaced in a while, do that as well.
Preventing Fires Inside the Home & Business
While smoke alarms are designed to warn you of a potential fire, they don’t do much to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Sure, some fires happen unexpectedly and they often happen when you’re not ready for it, but there are things you can do to reduce your risk of a fire.
Here are some prevention tips we have when reducing your chance of a fire in your home or business:
- When cooking, don’t leave the kitchen unattended.
- Leave flammable items away from the fireplace, heating appliances, and candles.
- Don’t fall asleep while burning a candle.
- Avoid smoking inside the home.
- If using a space heater, place it on a level surface (tile, not carpet).
- If you notice outdated or faulty wires/outlets throughout the home, have them repaired immediately.
- Don’t overload your outlets.
- When hanging holiday decorations and holiday lights, do so with caution.
As always, you should make sure your property has a safe and effective evacuation plan in the event a fire breaks out. You should have two ways out of every room and should ensure that everyone inside the building — whether it’s a home or business — is on the same page.
Since October is National Fire Prevention Month, it’s an excellent time to test your smoke alarms, practice your evacuation plan, and ensure you’re taking the necessary precautions in the event of a fire. The more prepared you are, the better off you’ll be when disaster strikes.
How Can DriRite Help In Times of Need?
As much as we’d like to avoid residential and commercial fires, they happen far too often. Not only does it put you, your family, or your employees at risk, but it results in a great deal of property damage — including structural damage and damage to your personal belongings.
At DriRite, we understand how frustrating this can be. That’s why we dedicate ourselves to restoring your home or business back to its original, pre-fire condition. We use advanced equipment and have the experience necessary for quality fire and water damage restoration in Tampa.
If you need quality fire restoration in Tampa, don’t hesitate to contact DriRite for immediate assistance. We’re one of the most trusted restoration companies in Tampa and can’t wait to help you and your family.
CEO of DRIRITE.
Comments are closed.